Developed geographic tongue and getting canker sore in mouth. How to treat it?
Thanks for the query
Dry mouth (xerostomia) is usually due to a decrease in the amount of saliva in the mouth. In addition to the discomfort of dry mouth, a prolonged reduction in the amount or flow of saliva can also have many other serious consequences.
There are various causes which can induce xerostomia:
1. Side effect of certain medications - medicines used for treatment of depression, antihistaminic, etc.
2. Secondary to certain diseases and infections - Vitamin deficiency, anemia, diabetes, Sjogren's syndrome, following radiotherapy, etc.
3. Dehydration - reduced intake of water.
4. Damage to the nerves - surgical/traumatic.
5. Surgical removal of the salivary glands.
6. Lifestyle - Smoking, chewing tobacco, continuous mouth breathing can aggravate dry mouth.
As you have mentioned that you are suffering from depression and anxiety; the medicines you might be taking to treat the above problem could be one of the reasons behind dry mouth.
Secondly, as mentioned above vitamin deficiency could be one of the causes behind dryness of the mouth.
My advice to you is:
1. To consult your doctor for modification of the drugs (if you are taking any?).
2. To drink plenty of water, this will keep the oral cavity moist.
3. To consume plenty of sugarless liquids, sugarless candies and chewing gum.
4. Try taking sialogogues such as lime juice, tamarind, etc. it will stimulate the production of saliva.
5. Consuming vitamin B-complex helps in regeneration of the damaged mucosa of the oral cavity.
6. Avoid smoking or tobacco chewing if any.
7. Also, eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.
Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.
Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Crestor canker sores on tongue
- Geographic tongue developed after pregnancy
- Will geographic tongue affect speech development
- Tongue pierced and canker sores
- Canker sores tongue
- Tongue canker sores treatment
- Geographic tongue and speech and language development
- How to treat geographic tongue
- Canker sore tongue streak
- Canker sore tongue earache
- Small multi-nodular goiters,elevated T3 in thyroid profile,TSH and T4...
- Blocked ears, dizziness, BP 120/66, tooth removal done recently, fever
- Fell and injured jaw, stiff neck, swollen lymph node, fever, neck pain
- What should I do if I have heartburn, tenderness at the base of my throat?
- How to treat watery eyes ?
- How to treat allergic rashes due to medications ?
- Hard,tender lump on side of face,lump rolls,eyelid swollen after tick...
- Throat tightens,unable to sleep,generic of nexium,generic for...
- What is the reason for tightness in throat and fatigue?
- Chinese herbal creams, eczema ointment, base cream from company,...