Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Developed fatigue, stomach discomfort, anxiety after fainting with hair loss. Why is right chest paining? Do testing?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12760 Questions
Following a fainting incident 8 months ago I began to develop fatigue, stomach discomfort, anxiety and body aches.

Here are the tests I’ve had so far

The following test have been run only to show normal results: CBC - Hemogram, Auto WBC, Sed Rate, Routine Chemistry, Enzymes, Urine Analysis, H-Pylori, Abdominal Ultrasound and Cat Scan w/contrast, MRI, Endoscopy, Sigmoidoscopy, Celiac Test, MRI, EKG, Chest X-Ray, Throat X-Ray w/contrast, Thyroid Test, Parasite Testing (I was in the Caribbean the week prior to the incident), Hepatitis A B & C, HIV and XXXXXXX Test. I’ve had a thorough work up and the final diagnose came back as Proctitis (diagnosed during Sigmoidoscopy) and Anxiety/Depression. It was recommended to try some psychological counseling which I have done. It helps with coping but I still don't feel well.

I’m now experiencing pain under my right rib. It feels like a balloon is being inflated under it and I’ve had body hair loss where the pain is. Most of the above mentioned testing is only about two months. The doctor is reluctant to order more test and has sent me to another GI specialist for a second opinion due to the Proctitis. I have two months to wait for another appointment and would like some suggestions or guidance. Given the information is there anything else I should be tested for or doing?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The pain on right side of abdomen that you are experiencing is likely to be due to intestinal cause like irritable bowel. You have already underwent all the related investigations two months ago. Right now I do not feel that any more investigations are needed.
Right now making some lifestyle changes will help you. Alterations in diet, like gradual addition of more fibre in your diet like whole grain breads, XXXXXXX leafy vegetables & fruits can ease your symptoms.

Avoid taking cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, beans and lentils, caffeinated drinks (tea, coffee) aerated drinks, fried and spicy foods. Also drink plenty of fluids and water and try to stop smoking or alcohol if there is history of intake of any such substance. Also start doing daily exercises, brisk walks, XXXXXXX breathing exercises which are actually good for your health.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Developed fatigue, stomach discomfort, anxiety after fainting with hair loss. Why is right chest paining? Do testing? 15 hours later
I've made adjustments to my diet as you mentioned above. It's been suggested by a friend of mine, who is a nurse, to move forward and do a full colonoscopy opposed to just the sigmoidoscopy? She also mentioned possibly doing a HIDA scan. What are your thoughts regarding this? If you still do not think think it's medically relevant please let me know.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
A full colonoscopy will be helpful in detecting any problem in whole of colon. Since you already have proctitis, inflammatory bowel disease is likely. Going for both colonoscopy and HIDA scan might be helpful in detecting the cause of your pain.
You can go ahead and plan out both these investigations.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor