Developed dark and light spots on lips from smoking. How to remove these spots?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Question: I am an african- american male. I have developed dark and light spots on my lips from somking cigarettes. Is there a cosmetic procedure to remove these spots. Laser, chemical peel, or fading cream. I have not smoked in over 8 years.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The pigmentation of the lips is caused by the inflammation produced by the irritation caused by the smoke. To treat these dark patches, apply a good sunscreen with minimum spf 30 at least half an hour before going out in the sun. Use a mild cleanser and a light moisturizer. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables especially cabbage, spinach, and other leafy XXXXXXX vegetables and take a daily vitamin supplement. You should also apply almond oil or skin creams containing vit C or K, alpha hydroxyl acids and kojic acid on the dark patches.
However if the symptoms are severe then topical bleaching agents, chemical peels and laser therapy may be needed. These are available only under prescription and hence a dermatologist should be consulted for these treatment options.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.