Developed bruise on knee and swollen labia minora after drinking. Any ideas?

Dr. Stephen Christensen

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: I went for drinks last night with my husband, had a few too many.... woke up today with a bruised knee and my left Labia Majora is very swollen and bruised to the point of being black, its very painful and getting bigger. No idea what i have done too it.
Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 4 hours later
Hello. I'm Dr. Christensen.
That looks like quite an injury. Without additional details it's very difficult to determine the exact cause of this bruising, but one guess is that you were stepping over something, slipped, fell to your knee and struck your labia on an object between your legs...perhaps a railing, low fence, table edge or chair back.
I suspect you're going to be even more uncomfortable tomorrow than you are right now. I'd suggest you apply ice packs to both your knee and your labia for the next 24 hours (this will help limit the bleeding in the injured areas), and then switch to warm packs, which will help your body clear the bruising away. (Remember to place a dry towel between your skin and an ice pack.) Take a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory for your discomfort (e.g., ibuprofen or naproxen); these medications usually don't interact with the drugs we use for thrush.
If you develop problems with emptying your bladder or moving your bowel, if the pain in your groin or knee interferes with walking or standing, or if your discomfort cannot be controlled with over-the-counter medications, see your doctor at once.
I hope that helps, and I hope you feel better soon. I'll be available if you have additional questions.