Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Developed bruise on knee and swollen labia minora after drinking. Any ideas?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1986
Answered : 212 Questions
I went for drinks last night with my husband, had a few too many.... woke up today with a bruised knee and my left Labia Majora is very swollen and bruised to the point of being black, its very painful and getting bigger. No idea what i have done too it.
Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 4 hours later
Hello. I'm Dr. Christensen.
That looks like quite an injury. Without additional details it's very difficult to determine the exact cause of this bruising, but one guess is that you were stepping over something, slipped, fell to your knee and struck your labia on an object between your legs...perhaps a railing, low fence, table edge or chair back.
I suspect you're going to be even more uncomfortable tomorrow than you are right now. I'd suggest you apply ice packs to both your knee and your labia for the next 24 hours (this will help limit the bleeding in the injured areas), and then switch to warm packs, which will help your body clear the bruising away. (Remember to place a dry towel between your skin and an ice pack.) Take a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory for your discomfort (e.g., ibuprofen or naproxen); these medications usually don't interact with the drugs we use for thrush.
If you develop problems with emptying your bladder or moving your bowel, if the pain in your groin or knee interferes with walking or standing, or if your discomfort cannot be controlled with over-the-counter medications, see your doctor at once.
I hope that helps, and I hope you feel better soon. I'll be available if you have additional questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor