Developed a white tongue with a sour taste in mouth. Will it be cured by probiotics?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Question: I was recently in the hospital on powerful IV antibiotics for ruptured appendix, then sent home with Cipro and Flagyl while waiting interval appendectomy. Since my hospital stay, I have develeoped a white tongue with a sour taste in my mouth that no amount of oral hygiene will assuage. Assuming this is an overgrowth of bactiera (such as candida), will probiotics help? And what else should I do to get back to normal?
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 45 minutes later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
From your history of having received antibiotics and a very
good description of your tongue lesion, you are right on the
money about your suspicion of fungal infection such as
Candida. Unfortunately, this is an expected complication
of using antibiotics especially two in your case.
I have always advised my patients who go on antibiotics
that it is a good idea to simultaneously start taking a
probiotic pill a day. You do need to build up the good
bacteria.
As for your tongue and mouth lesions, you can start
using a mouthwash with Nystatin. You can use this as
a rinse about four times a day till th infection clears.
There are also lozenges (Anti-fungal) such as Fungilin
or even oral Gel with Micanazole.
When once you are off the antibiotics, that should help
too.
This will clear in a week or ten days. Appropriate oral
hygiene is important. Stick to bland foods and avoid
excess caffeine, alcohol and real spicy foods. Yogurt,
plain is very good also.
Hope you feel better soon.
Wish you well.