Developed a facial tic blinking eye with a head not. Is it serious something?

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: My 25 year old healthy son has developed a facial tic- blinking eye with a head nod. I have not talked with him about it because I read that they will go away and dont want to make him more self conscious.
Advice?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Concerns

Detailed Answer:
in many cases these types of neurological symptoms are related to stress or lack of adequate sleep. if that is the case for him it should improve as he gets more sleep or possibly if the stress level is reduced over the next few weeks.

If the symptoms persist or become more pronounced it would be something that should be evaluated by a neurologist or primary care physician. It is unlikely to represent a serious neurological issue. But if it does persist it is worth investigating

dr. Galamaga
Follow up: Dr. Robert Galamaga 21 minutes later
It has been going on for about 4 months- I mentioned it to him when I first noticed it 4 months ago. He said it happened when he was tired.
He does have a high stress job and works long hours but also has an active social life- no drugs just alcohol on the weekends.
He did have mild TMJ a year ago- could that be related?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
I doubt this is TMJ related.

If he drinks heavily - tics and neurological changes can occur. I realize this is unlikel but just a consideration and FYI.

I think it's worth investigating - first with a primary XXXXXXX medicine specialist and then likely a neurologist. imaging such as an MRI of the brain might be reasonable as well.

This may be NOTHING and temporary but still needs to be on the radar and followed closely.

Dr. Galamaga