Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
121 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Developed a facial tic blinking eye with a head not. Is it serious something?

Answered by
Dr. Robert Galamaga


Practicing since :2002

Answered : 2638 Questions

Posted on Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: My 25 year old healthy son has developed a facial tic- blinking eye with a head nod. I have not talked with him about it because I read that they will go away and dont want to make him more self conscious.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
in many cases these types of neurological symptoms are related to stress or lack of adequate sleep. if that is the case for him it should improve as he gets more sleep or possibly if the stress level is reduced over the next few weeks.

If the symptoms persist or become more pronounced it would be something that should be evaluated by a neurologist or primary care physician. It is unlikely to represent a serious neurological issue. But if it does persist it is worth investigating

dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Robert Galamaga 21 minutes later
It has been going on for about 4 months- I mentioned it to him when I first noticed it 4 months ago. He said it happened when he was tired.
He does have a high stress job and works long hours but also has an active social life- no drugs just alcohol on the weekends.
He did have mild TMJ a year ago- could that be related?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
I doubt this is TMJ related.

If he drinks heavily - tics and neurological changes can occur. I realize this is unlikel but just a consideration and FYI.

I think it's worth investigating - first with a primary XXXXXXX medicine specialist and then likely a neurologist. imaging such as an MRI of the brain might be reasonable as well.

This may be NOTHING and temporary but still needs to be on the radar and followed closely.

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Magnetic resonance imaging

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor My father is 85 years old. Skull cancer is seen in MRI report. He has been given Livogen by our regular doctor. I would like to know...

doctor1 MD

I am 69 years, weight 80kg, height 66 inches.Have a problem in speech which is not clear and is slur . Not diabetic, always worried about my family...

doctor1 MD

I had a very large glomus jugulaire a few years ago on the right side ,i had major surgery followed by six weeks of radiotheraphy .Afew months ago...

doctor1 MD

I was diagnosed with SVT in may 2010 after I had my 2nd child. I have since had tests done and they say the heart is ok. Recently I have had chest...

doctor1 MD

I am trying to find out what the test is for Habba Syndrome. After reading about it I believe that it is what my husband suffers from.

doctor1 MD

can bonemarrow edema be treated,and how?

doctor1 MD

I think I saw poop come out of my vagina an hour ago that possible, What should I don