Developed a cold sore on lip and prickly feeling eyes. Are they related?

Dr. R.A. Singh

Emergency Medicine Specialist

Posted on Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: My left eye for a couple days has felt "prickly" off and on. It doesn't really hurt, just annoying. I also have developed a cold sore on my lip. I'm certain the two are not related.
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 25 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing your query.

They may be related. Viral infections are common when there is a breach in the continuity of the protective epithelium on the body. They make an easy entry and then pass to other parts along the blood.

Infection from your cold sore can be transmitted to your eyes if you touch your eyes after touching your lips without washing your hands.

Wash your hands everytime your hands touch your lips,, like after eating.
Keep your eyes clean by regularly washing with pure water.

If the problem persists, get your eye examined by an Ophthalmologist.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any query, I will be happy to help.
Regards.Thanks.