Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Developed Varicocele in left testicle. Feeling pain and abdominal discomfort. Should I see a doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1201 Questions
I think that I may have developed a Varicocele in my left testicle. Currently, It feels as if there is a mass of small veins attached to the back of it and the testicle itself lays lower than the right.

I have recently began to feel some faint shooting pains in my left testicle and my inner left thigh as well as some slight lower abdominal discomfort. I have an appointment with my doctor in a few weeks, but my question is are there any actions I can take in my own hands to treat myself or prevent this from getting worse until a diagnosis and decision are made? Thank You.
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Dear patient,

Thanks for your health concerns. Indeed, your description seems to be suggestive of varicocele, which is easily described as a "bag of veins that feel and look like tortuous worms". I am happy that you are seeing a provider to address this issue at your young age, since it can be associated with not only pain but also even decreased fertility if left untreated. In the meantime, the most important thing is not to increase abdominal pressures significantly, with activities such as squatting, heavy lifting or long sessions of abdominal exercises. Try to wear comfortable underwear that does not make the area feel hot or excessively sweaty.

Hope this is useful; wish you the best health blessings.

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor