Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Develop pain when skate. Selling in shin. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5165 Questions
Hello, I am male, 5'9", 200lbs and 41 yoa. When I run or skate after approx. 30 mins I develop great pain in my left shin area. Approx 6" above my ankle swelling develops to the outside of the shin. Also a soft lump 1/2 the size of a grape pops out. The pain is enough to cause me to sweat! The pain subsides within an hour. Thank-you
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibilty of stress fracture or infection.

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

As per your history and your activity in sports possibility of stress fracture of leg bone can be considered. So I will advise to take an x-ray and should look for stress fracture. In some patient there can be persistent soft tissue swelling.
MRI scan will help in confirming diagnosis.
Stress fracture may require immobilisation in plaster.

Another possibility of Osteomyelitis can be considered which can remain quiescent for many years in dormant state .If host immunity decreases organisms start multiplying and lead pain.

I will advise to consult orthopaedic surgeon to assess for cause.
He will check clinically regarding any persistent infection. And some blood investigation may be required.
Biopsy or aspirate from tissue which is popping out will confirm diagnosis of swelling.

I will advise you to improve your immunity and strength by high protein food, and some herbal immunity boosters.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor