Detected with two small Gb polyps. Have fatty liver. Is there any risk? What is the best treatment?

Posted on Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: hi am 36 yr old male & have been detected with two small Gb polyps 3 X 5 mm & I have fatty liver infiltration is there any risk whats the best treatement?
FYI this my second check up & gives same result but am a bit worried that I may I get a cancer !!
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 28 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,
Thank you for your query,
Simply put, you are not an increased risk of cancer due to your polyps or fatty infiltration. In your case, I think you do have a condition known as Cholesterolosis. In this, the person has polyps which contain cholesterol and triglycerides (complex form of fats). The good thing for these types of polyps is that they are mostly benign (i.e. they are safe and don't have harmful effects like cancer) and are asymptomatic. The ultimate treatment for such polyps is removal of the polyps by laproscopic surgery. (video camera guided surgery with 3 small incisions).
As far as the fatty infiltration of the liver is concerned, it can progress and we should be looking at controlling this. The main treatment would be lifestyle modification. The following steps would help control this disease:
a.     Have a low fat diet: Restrict oil, mutton, fried food and all types of junk food
b.     Exercise regularly: You should be walking or jogging for 40-45 minutes daily
c.     Maintain your weight in the normal range. If you let me know your height, I can tell you the ideal weight.
d.     Please get a liver function test and a lipid profile done. These tests will help us guide further treatment.
Hope this helps
Feel free to contact for further queries
Dr. M Ishfaq Habib

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib