Detected with two small Gb polyps. Have fatty liver. Is there any risk? What is the best treatment?

Posted on Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: hi am 36 yr old male & have been detected with two small Gb polyps 3 X 5 mm & I have fatty liver infiltration is there any risk whats the best treatement?
FYI this my second check up & gives same result but am a bit worried that I may I get a cancer !!
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 28 minutes later
Thank you for your query,
Simply put, you are not an increased risk of cancer due to your polyps or fatty infiltration. In your case, I think you do have a condition known as Cholesterolosis. In this, the person has polyps which contain cholesterol and triglycerides (complex form of fats). The good thing for these types of polyps is that they are mostly benign (i.e. they are safe and don't have harmful effects like cancer) and are asymptomatic. The ultimate treatment for such polyps is removal of the polyps by laproscopic surgery. (video camera guided surgery with 3 small incisions).
As far as the fatty infiltration of the liver is concerned, it can progress and we should be looking at controlling this. The main treatment would be lifestyle modification. The following steps would help control this disease:
a.     Have a low fat diet: Restrict oil, mutton, fried food and all types of junk food
b.     Exercise regularly: You should be walking or jogging for 40-45 minutes daily
c.     Maintain your weight in the normal range. If you let me know your height, I can tell you the ideal weight.
d.     Please get a liver function test and a lipid profile done. These tests will help us guide further treatment.
Hope this helps
Feel free to contact for further queries
Dr. M Ishfaq Habib

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Answered by
Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2010

Answered : 661 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Fat restricted diet

doctor1 MD

My 2 yr child has been diagnosed with an enlarged liver and we are doing test at the hospital. First LFT had AST and ALT at 140 and 163, 5 days...

doctor1 MD

My Father has been gone through the medical health check-up.I need your input over the attached reports.My father is taking medicine triglynase1...

doctor1 MD

I had my gallbladder removed thre years ago and I've been researching it. All these holistic/functional medicine doctors say that we'lol never be...

doctor1 MD

Hello, I was having symptoms of acute Viral Hepatitis with my SGOT and SGPT in thousands (1500 and 3000). With further diagnostics I am detected...

doctor1 MD

Hi Dr, I am 32 year old. Weigh 120kg. Been on heavy. side for many years. I have never had high sugar levels and it was always way below the 110....

doctor1 MD

Hi I am vicke , 53 years old, having hypertension since 7 mths ago with 150/95, dr gave me concor 2,5 mg, 1/2 tab once a day, after taking abt...

doctor1 MD

I am eating a almost fat free diet according to Dr. Ornish, exercise a lot, do not drink, do not smoke, yet can not reduce building of...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

185 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction