Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Detected small kidney which is not functioning properly. Good nephrologist?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 1414 Questions
One of the kidneys of my brother, aged 41 yrs, has bn recently detected to be small & not functioning properly. On Doc's advice, he got the test done fr GFR. The readings are: Left - 8.50; right - 48.76. Normalized GFR - 57.25. Are tthese readings serious. Can you pls suggest a good Nephrologist to consult in Mumbai. Many thx.
Posted Mon, 3 Dec 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.

This GFR fits in chronic kidney disease STAGE 3.
He needs to be evaluated by a Nephrologist, as you had rightly thought.
He will do general physical examination and BP check. BP will be corrected using medications, if found to be high.
The initial tests that would be done are renal function tests with serum electrolytes. If Potassium is high, it will be corrected.
Diet advice will be given- usually low salt, low potassium and low protein.
Water restriction may be advised depending on the water balance of the body.
The medications will usually consist of medicines to correct BP, reduce potassium absorption from the stomach, calcium and b-complex supplements plus medicines to relieve specific symptoms.
Discussion will be made on requirement of dialysis and renal transplant, as needed and on a gradual basis.
Most corporate hospitals in MUMBAI have a Nephrologist and finding one should not be an issue.
Wishing him good health,


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor