Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Depression, suicidal tendency, disinterested in studies, stays aloof, does not talk

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1853 Questions
my son XXXXXXX is 22 and a ca student . he is suffering from depression from last 8 months he does not want to talk to any one .has sucidial tendicies
wants to stay aloof . is not interested in studies any more . kindly help
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later

Thanks for your query.

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation at right time.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     22 years old male
•     Total illness duration 8 month
•     Symptoms of: depression, staying aloof, no interest in study and suicidal thoughts
•     Not received any treatment

With your description there are multiple diagnostic possibilities in your son case which can be confirmed only with personal interview and behaviour observation. But the most important thing which needs to worry about in your son case is suicidal thoughts. We have seen several cases who harm them self.

Following urgent measures need to be taken in this case:
•     Urgent consultation with psychiatrist, preferably admission in psychiatric hospital or nursing home
•     24 hr attendant with patient and never leave patient alone at home
•     No sharp object nearby patient

Final message to you: worry less and take above measures urgently.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor