Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Depressed. Not cured by amigold, skizol, relihexy-2 and slonol. Looking for alternative treatment

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
Hello Dr.,

My younger brother is 28 years old and he went in to depression while class 10th. that is like 10+ years before from now. at that time he started avoiding going to public, interacting with the people and sometime he shown too much anger towards my parents and sometime other people.
we have been consulting a psychiatrist since then and he has continually giving the medicine. right now he is taking following medicine:
amigold 100
skizol 200
slonol 20

we have been told that these medicines are required on a daily basis. there is improvement in my brother, but still he is not that normal. he still avoid much interaction with people and easily become afraid of anything like dogs etc.

this question has been bothering me and my parents from over 10 years now, we tried medicine from last 10 years but we do not want to give him medicine for all his life. is there is anything we can do to stop medicines. also what kind of approaches we need to use for him to make him like he was before?

Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 19 hours later
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
From the description that you have given, it appears that your brother is having a long term psychiatric illness of duration more than 10 years with significant change in his personality and behavior. It is unlikely for depression to persist this long and that too of such high severity.
Such significant change in the behavior lasting for this long can be explained only by having a kind of psychosis - an entity more sever than neurosis like depression.

From the list of medicines that you have given, there are two drugs - skizol and slonol, are two drugs, the brand names of which are not familiar. Probably they are of some local companies. I would we grateful if you can let me know the contents of these drugs which will be stated on the drug strip.
Such information can help me in answering your query in a much better way.
Hoping to hear from you soon.
Thanks and regards,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Consultant Psychiatrist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Depressed. Not cured by amigold, skizol, relihexy-2 and slonol. Looking for alternative treatment 2 days later
Hello Dr.,

Thanks for your reply. following are the contents of the medicine:
XXXXXXX tablets ip excipients

     clozapine usp 200mg
     excipient qs

amigold 100
     amisulpride bp 100 mg
     excipients q.s
flonol 20
     fluoxetine hydrochloride ip
     eqtofluoxetine 20mg
     excipient qs

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 13 minutes later
Thanks for your prompt response for the clarifications sought from you.
In continuation to my previous response, the illness clearly appears to be more than depression and most probably is some kind of psychosis. The actual diagnosis can only be confirmed by doing a detailed mental status examination.
Your psychiatrists selection of medication suggests that he is also thinking on the similar lines but the dose of skizoril 200mg is too less a dose, especially in resistant cases. It should be gradually increased to around 400-600 mg under the supervision of your psychiatrist. The reason you need close supervision is that skizoril has agranulocytosis as one of the fatal side-effects and can only be managed by 2 times a week CBC blood test. The same needs to be done even at the current dosage of skizoril at 200mg.
I understand that you are staying in Bangalore and NIMHANS is a center of excellence of Psychiatry in India and you should approach ones the hospital for assessment and opinion.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
I would be glad if you need any further clarifications.
If not you can close the discussion and rate the answers accordingly.
Wish your brother a good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor