Delayed periods with lower abdominal pain. Advice?

Posted on Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in General Health
Question: Hi, my period was around 2 to 3 weeks late, it started yesterday and since late afternoon I have had lower abdominal pain. I don't usually get period pain.
I feel pain and pressure as if I need to pass a bowel movement too, and I am not constipated.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.

I understand you are a 43 years old lady with your periods delayed by two to three weeks, it happened yesterday and you are having lower abdominal pain, something the you have not experienced frequently. Pain and pressure to ass stools is present although you do not feel constipated.

You have mentioned about an under active thyroid. I would be glad if you could share details of duration and medication for hypothyroid state. I would also like to know if you were having heavy periods when you were diagnosed as hypothyroid and earlier to that.

The thyroid gland is a part of the endocrine system and one of its function is also the regulation of the menstrual cycle by the control of release and distribution of hormones in the body. Hence knowing about your thyroid function tests and the treatment you are taking would be important.

Secondly, around the age of 43, some women may be going through perimenopause. This is when the body tries to adjust itself when there is a transition phase from the reproductive to the menopausal group. The periods often get delayed at this time and this is normal.

Coming to the abdominal pain, there is a possibility of menstrual pains being associated with thyroid disorders. If your pain lasts for more than the duration of your periods, you may get an ultrasound scan done with the knowledge of your doctor. There could be other causes (uterus, ovaries, bowel, lypmphnodes) which could be responsible for your pain and this is where a scan could help.

Hope your query is answered.
Further queries welcome with an update on your thyroid treatment details.

Dr Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist