Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Delayed periods. Having severe abdominal, back and breast pains. Had while milky discharge. Should I see a doctor?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
I am concerned about my health and whether or not I might have an extra-uterine pregnancy. I missed my period on the sugar pills of my birth control pack the first week of March. The last time I had intercourse was a few days before starting the sugar pills and I had missed a couple of pills earlier in the month but was taking them regularly for about a week at the time of intercourse so thought it was safe. After missing my period I began taking urine tests and have taken countless tests over the course of the past two months but not a single positive, not even faintly. I have also had two blood tests which both came back negative as well as an ultrasound in which nothing was visible. I have been experiencing all of the classic symptoms which have been worsening over the course of the last week and half including pretty severe abdominal, back and breast pains. I also had a while milky discharge about a week ago. If I were pregnant I would be about two months along now but still every single test is negative, both blood and urine. I am concerned I might have an extra-uterine pregnancy that is causing the hcg levels to be low and am worried about my health because I know these situations can be very XXXXXXX but all of the doctors I have seen are 100% convinced I am not pregnant and just send me home with pain medications. I am scared and confused and worried that time is running out to treat my situation in a safe and effective way. I have another appointment with an OBGYN tomorrow but need as many opinions as I can get to try and figure out what is happening. Please help.
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query with more information. I have read your history and relevant investigations that you have done.

In this situation, I suggest you to undergo one fresh Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS Scan) along with repeat blood test for beta-HCG to rule out underlying pathology though your previous blood & urine tests along with ultrasound scan gives negative result. Sometimes, late pregnancy is the least possible outcome. One of my known patients found her pregnancy test positive around 8 weeks and it was intrauterine pregnancy.

In exclusion of pregnancy, other reasons are hormonal imbalance caused by irregular taking of the birth control pill, ovarian cyst, thyroid disturbance, mental stress/ depression, psychological factor, high rise of prolactin level, irregular diet habit etc.

Beta-HCG level around 500-1000 mIU/ ml or more along with severe constant lower abdominal pain on one side, vaginal bleeding and increased pulse rate are the characteristic of ectopic pregnancy which are not resembled with your clinical features. So you should not be worried about this whether all pregnancy test results are negative.

Proper treatment depends on underlying etiological factors. Therefore, I suggest you to consult with a gynecologist who can guide you for relevant investigations like complete hormone assay including thyroid profile, blood prolactin level, endometrial biopsy etc after a physical examination.

The following measures can be helpful :

1) Take healthy diet with vitamin & iron supplements and complete avoidance of salty/ fatty/ junk food stuffs.
2) Try to avoid stress by yoga/ deep breathing or meditation regularly (20-30 minutes).
3) Drink plenty of water and eat more green vegetables & fresh fruits.
4) Wear tight breast support to get relief from breast discomfort.
5) Control body weight by regular physical exercise. Maintain personal hygiene.
6) Start to take contraceptive pill only after consultation with gynecologist and you should avoid sexual intercourse in this time period.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor