Delayed in depot shot. Had intercourse, feeling tired. HPT negative. What are the risks?

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Question: pregnant?I have gained weight in my stomach 17 pounds actually. I am very tired and get head aches and noose bleeds. I am on the depo shot however I have not gotten any spotting like I normally do since my last shot. my last shot was a day late. they gave me a pregnancy test which came up negative. I had intercourse a day before I went in for my shot so it wouldn't show up that I was pregnant at that time. I have been very agitated and super hungry. I have troubles falling asleep and random nausea increased with smoking cigarettes
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

A day's delay in your depot shot is unlikely to result in a contraceptive failure. However, you must be aware that even depot contraceptive injections are not always 100 % effective. So, the only way to find out if you could be pregnant is to repeat a pregnancy test again.

The symptoms which you have been experiencing like weight gain, headaches, tiredness, nose bleeds, sleep disturbances and nausea are not specific to pregnancy and can be due to a variety of other medical problems also. For example, medical conditions like thyroid disorders, diabetes, etc. can cause symptoms of weight gain, increased appetite, tiredness, etc. Another possibility could be a hormonal imbalance which is causing you these recent symptoms. So, I would advise you to have a thorough medical examination, including a few lab investigations to evaluate your symptoms.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Follow up: Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 36 minutes later
I am already diagnosed with thyroid and my medication is stabilized so it's not that
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 11 hours later
Hello again,

Well, it's good that your thyroid problem has been stabilized. But, it's important to rule out other possible medical problems which could be causing your symptoms. Especially the headaches and nose bleeds are concerning, and its better to be on the safer side, by having a proper evaluation done.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Follow up: Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 3 hours later
is the depo shot less effect toward the end of the three months?
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 10 hours later
Hi again,

Each shot of the depot contraceptive has an effective coverage period of 14 to 15 weeks (i.e well over 3 months) and the medication level is fairly constant during this period. This means that the contraceptive medication is uniformly effective for AT LEAST 3 months and it is UNLIKELY to be less effective during the end of the 3 months. Also, up to a week delay of the next shot is acceptable and will not make any significant difference to the effectiveness of the contraception. The failure rates of Depo-Provera (3 month contraceptive injections) if used correctly is only about 0.3 % (i.e. roughly one in 300 women can have a contraceptive failure with this depot contraceptive injection).

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar