Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Degenerative changes seen on spinal MRI. How to cure weakness and pain?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
I have already written my query.
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 46 minutes later
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your information in detail, and with the kind of degenerative changes that you have on MRI spine, there is always a possibility that your weakness and pains are due to the compression. However if the symptoms are not reducing with the traditional therapies, then there is a possibility that along with the compression pain there could be a cohabiting psychosomatic component.
As you have mentioned that you had been in and out of depression, it would be always worthwhile to consider starting on Amitriptyline or Duloxetine for 3-4 weeks. Even if the pain is purely organic,still these two modalities do reduce the pain element.
Pregabaline is also a good drug in this respect.
You are following stretching and imagery, may be a few sessions on CBT with your psychiatrist will also benefit you.
Do continue your depression treatment as it will have a lot of impact on your pain perception.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor