question-icon

Dear Dr, My Cousins Son Had Problem Of Fetal Distress

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018
Question: Dear Dr,
My cousins son had problem of fetal distress and AV block when he was born. He was admitted and treated accordingly. Now the Dr suggests to wait till he is 3 yrs old and then check if any problem. I have attached the reports and discharge card kindly suggest on his current and future health condition.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I have gone through the medical details provided by you of the baby and I would like to tell you that as there is no significant structural defect in the heart apart from a small patent foramen ovale (pfo) as mentioned in the echo report.

Yes it’s advisable to wait till the age of 3 yrs as by the time probably the patent foramen ovale will also get closed also the baby is doing fine so there is no urgency for anything.

However as the heart rate is on the lower side so that requires regular monitoring and also I would like to suggest to repeat echo yearly.

I hope this information will guide you properly.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist