Dear Doctor for the past 5 days i have been

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Wed, 20 Mar 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question:
Dear Doctor for the past 5 days i have been having Cough / Fever ( around 99 - 100 mostly) and slight throat irritation but otherwise fine.
Thick Phlegm comes out.

My wife is was also having similary shymptoms but no fever . My Kid is also having similar symptoms .
The question is I did a CBC test and i see elevated ESR and WBC what does that mean is it something that i need to be worried about.
I have attached the results
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibly a viral infection

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using the Ask a Doctor service.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections and antibiotics are ineffective in such cases. Irrespective of treatment, the viral infections are self limiting and usually resolve in a week or so. Often such viral infections manifest with fever. Such infections are frequently associated with an allergic component and it is advisable to take some antiallergic like cetirizine once daily for next few days.

You all need to take steam inhalation. It helps in reducing the congestion. The water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief.

If you have a temperature more than 100°F, you need to take paracetamol or acetaminophen (Crocin or Tylenol) to it bring down. Also use tepid sponging.

Please be patient. It may take a few days for the recovery to occur. It should spontaneously resolve in 5-7 days.

I have been unable to open the attachment since it is password protected. Feel free to write back in case of further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 31 minutes later
Thanks for the response Doctor . the password for the document is 0000.

I particularly worries about ESR of 57 and high WBC. What does it mean ?

Please refer to the document attached
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
The blood report is not concerning

Detailed Answer:
I have checked the attached report. The WBC count is not very high and I would not really be worried about that. This is especially because the proportion of neutrophils is not very high and therefore does not indicate a bacterial infection. ESR is a non-specific marker and increases in case of any illness. I would not be bothered about that either.

Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 30 hours later
Dear Doctor , Thanks again.
one final question . Should i retest 2 week later to ensure if the ESR has come down or is that not required.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need

Detailed Answer:
I do not suppose that you need to retest the ESR after 2 weeks.