Dear Doctor, Im writing this with worry about my 9

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Dear Doctor,
Im writing this with worry about my 9 months old baby getiing transmitted with HIV, Hepatitis B&C or any other STD if a fresh blood which was ingested in the babies mouth by putting cut finger in the babies mouth which is bleeding.

Below is the incident in details which i worry for

One day when i was returning from office i saw the lady who is living in my apartment considered to be risky for having STD was feeding something through her index finger for my baby in my babies mouth. After that incident i asked my wife what the lady is feeding the baby and my wife said she was feeding a small piece of sweet into the babies mouth.
My worry is if the lady has fresh bleeding cut while feeding my baby and if few drops has gone into my babies mouth will HIV, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C or any other STD may transmit?
Thu, 8 Feb 2018 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There is one risk of HIV or Hepatitis or any other STD.

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

There is no risk of transmission of HIV, Hepatitis B or C or any other STD from someone's finger into the mouth assuming that the finger had a bleeding cut. This is because for the virus to infect and survive, it has to first gain access to the blood stream. So unless there is a deep and fresh bleeding cut/sore in the baby's mouth too, there is no way the virus would be able enter the blood stream. Moreover the stomach acid destroys almost everything including the virus. So I don't think there is any risk of HIV or Hepatitis or any other STD from a bleeding finger inside someone's mouth.

Follow-up: Dear Doctor, Im writing this with worry about my 9 21 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thank you very much for your very clear answer.

My baby was vaccinated for Hepatitis B all three shots. Is there any routes of Hepatitis B transmission even after vaccination?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
No risk of hepatitis B

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

No. In those who are fully vaccinated, the protective antibodies against hepatitis B virus would prevent any risk of infection.

Follow-up: Dear Doctor, Im writing this with worry about my 9 1 hour later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks for your information.

Your first answer clarified my doubts. Follow up questions are for my personal knowledge which was due to what i read in internet.

1) I read in internet that if mutated or occult HBV infection is present it may transfer the virus even for Vaccinated person?
2) Is mutated HBV infection is in India? If yes what percentage if data available is present in people who are HBV infected.
3) In XXXXXXX we test only for HbSag for finding HBV. Even the blood donors are screend only for HbSag. At what situation we have to test Anti HBC or HBV DNA.

Thank u so much for your great service.

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding HBV

Detailed Answer:
Congratulations for doing your own extensive research on this subject. However, as far as I know the emergence of these mutations has not yet been a cause for concern primarily because they develop slowly. Not sure about prevalence of mutated HBV in XXXXXXX but it's not much of a concern yet. Screening with HBsAg may be followed by other tests like anti HBc, anti-HBsAb in those who initially have tested positive with HBsAg to determine whether they have acute or chronic HBV infection. Individuals who are vaccinated are HBsAg negative but Anti-HBsAb positive. HBV DNA is used as an aid in monitoring antiviral therapy in those who are infected with HBV and undergoing treatment with antivirals.

Follow-up: Dear Doctor, Im writing this with worry about my 9 3 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks for your useful information. I studied too much in the internet without consulting experts. That is why i was too much confused and i fixed my mind that my baby was infected. Basically im a Garment Exporter.

1) You said mutations develop slowly. I dint understand. If you could explain plz
2) What STDs are transmitted by Unprotected Oral Sex?
3) Does drinking alcohol before 8 hours of STD test shows false negative result?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding HBV

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Mutations that develop slowly e.g over decades pose less of a threat of vaccine evasion because of the very fact that they are far and few as compared to those which develop at a rapid rate and therefore a higher chance of existence and getting transmitted.
Unprotected insertive oral sex caries of risk of transmission of herpes simplex virus, gonorrhoea and chlamydia. Hiv is not a real risk from insertive oral sex.
Alcohol does not interfere with test results.