Dear Doctor, Im writing this with worry about my 9

Gastroenterologist
Question
Dear Doctor,
Im writing this with worry about my 9 months old baby getiing transmitted with Hepatitis B & Hepatitis C if a fresh blood which was ingested in the babies mouth by putting cut finger in the babies mouth wich is bleeding.

Below is the incident in details which i worry for

One day when i was returning from office i saw the lady who is living in my apartment considered to be risky for having STD was feeding something through her index finger for my baby in my babies mouth. After that incident i asked my wife what the lady is feeding the baby and my wife said she was feeding a small piece of sweet into the babies mouth.
My worry is if the lady has fresh bleeding cut while feeding my baby and if few drops has gone into my babies mouth will Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C or any other STD may transmit?
Fri, 2 Feb 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

There is vaccine to prevent Hepatitis B and no vaccine to prevent Hepatitis C.
Since your baby is 9 months old, it is very much likely that your baby would have all three doses of Hepatitis B vaccination which you can confirm by looking at the vaccination report.

The Hepatitis C status of that lady is not known and moreover your are not sure and it is less likely she had a bleeding finger. So it is unlikely your baby would have acquired Hepatitis C

Dr.R.K

Follow-up: Dear Doctor, Im writing this with worry about my 9 20 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks for your message.

I dont know her hepatitis B&C status. She may have or may not have.
My question is if she is bleeding mildly her finger was in my baby mouth maximum 4 seconds. Will transmission occur if one or two drops of blood has gone inside my babies mouth?

I read in the internet, they say when Mutated Hepatitis B was transferred the transmission will occur even for vaccinated person. This is the lines which made me to worry and made me to get anxiety.

Please forget about vaccination. If one or two drops of blood was gone inside my babies mouth will the hepatitis b & c transmission occurs?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes the risk is there

Detailed Answer:
Yes the risk is there.
There is no need to think about mutant strains as it is only a remote possibility.

You can get your baby tested with HBV DNA and HCV RNA tests.

Dr.R.K

Follow-up: Dear Doctor, Im writing this with worry about my 9 13 minutes later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks for your reply.

Im sorry if my questions driven by my anxiety and the way of expression of my question was wrong.

I came here for second opinion reassurance.

In same Healthcaremagic other doctor said ingestion of small amount of blood through mouth will not transmit hepatitis B or Hepatitis C because Saliva and Stomach acid will kill the virus.

So im confused doctor. Plz help me. Plz dont take anything wrong because im very anxious about this incident.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Risk is there

Detailed Answer:
That is a good question.
The risk is there.
These viruses are found in body fluids.They are found in saliva and can be transmitted through saliva. So saliva will not destroy these viruses.
Yes digestive juices can kill the viruses.But before they reach the stomach the oral cavity, throat and food pipe are exposed to it and a small risk is there.

This is the reason why we sterilize endoscopes - just to prevent transmission.
But the risk is low.

And so as mentioned in my first post, I would advise you to ignore all theoretical possibilities and stop worrying.

Dr.R.K

Follow-up: Dear Doctor, Im writing this with worry about my 9 22 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks for your reply. Now im clear that these are theoretical worries but there were no cases getting transmission through ingestion of small amount of infected material.

Doctor anxiety makes people not to believe positive words and it trusts only negative. That is why i was also scarred when i read in internet. Kids are our rest of life which made me to worry unnecessarily.

My final question below just to my knowledge which will be helpful in future

1) Is Mutated Hepatits B infection is present in India? If present HBSAg assays used nowadays will find the infection?
2) In XXXXXXX even blood donors are screened only for HBSAg and even most of the countries accepting HBSAg as only test for Hepatitis B for medical test who is going on work visa.

But when i was reading in internet before im asking my questions to you they prefer Anti-HBC as test for hepatitis B.

Please dont mistake me. Its just for my knowledge.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 41 hours later
Brief Answer:
HBV DNA

Detailed Answer:

1. Yes Mutated/occult hepatitis B infection is present in XXXXXXX HBsAg test cannot detect it.

2.Standard blood banks test for Anti Hbc Total also.
But more sensitive is testing for HBV DNA which I have mentioned in my earlier post.

Dr.R.K