Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

168 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Dealing with mental health problems and severe stomach problems. What should I do?

Answered by
Dr. Rakesh Karanwal

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :1980

Answered : 1357 Questions

Posted on Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, my oldest son who is 24 has mental health problems anxiety/depression/bipolar? He also has severe stomache problems that so far are undiagnosed as IBS. However my mother had pyloric stenosis & was operated on for this at birth. As my son was a home birth & breastfed & no dr involved for many years I am inclined to think that PS could be the answer to his ongoing physical problems. As a newborn he projectile vomited & was severely constipated to the point that I would give him prune juice to move his bowels which I now know could b due to dehydration? As an adult he has had endoscopy & colonoscopy with no abnormalities obvious. If someone is undar anesthetic would pyloris be more relaxed or is the muscle thickening visually very obvious to see. From what he describes constantly it sounds to me that there is definite retardation in his ability to get food from stomache to intestine...any ideas cos the mental health plus physical incapacity are ruining his life. we understand that anxiety can manifest as physical symptons like this but seem to be in catch 22 till someone takes his belly complaints seriously. Have b een working on MH for years but getting nowhere slow with gut disability?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Can be Food intolerance or bacterial infection Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. Firstly, in order to PINPOINT the exact cause of generalized itching; give you a SOUND professional advice; and, TRUE VALUE FOR YOUR MONEY, I request you to kindly provide additional information as follows :- # Nature/symptoms of his stomach problems at present, such as, episodic diarrhea, bloating, acidity, abdominal discomfort, pain in the center of the chest; persisting constipation etc... # Present medications (with doses) for his mental health problems; any other medications. Some drugs tend to aggravate abdominal problems. # Any food which has identified with aggravation of abdominal problems. # Whether mental problems are under complete control on medications. This notwithstanding, from the information available, the possible causes of abdominal problems are :- (a) Food allergies/intolerance, such as Lactose intolerance (milk/milk products); Gluten intolerance (intolerance/allergy to wheat, barley, rye and their products). This possibility is strong in view of the onset of symptoms in early childhood. (b) A bacterial infection (by H.pylori) of the stomach and intestine (depending on the nature of stomach problems) Further, PS is a physical stricture (narrowing) of the stomach valve and, hence DO NOT relax under anaesthesia. Please appreciate that INPUT OF AS MUCH INFORMATION AS POSSIBLE, will be invaluable for me to reach to the ROOT cause of the stomach problems and, GUIDE you the further course of action. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Awaiting your further feedback, Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Lactose intolerance

doctor1 MD

My stool was like a tan color with mucus like stuff. I am lactose intolerant so not sure if that is part of it, since I had consumed a lot of dairy prior to that, with the use of Lactaid pills. Then a few days later it switched to diarrhea on and off with my stomach hurting and nausea. Now the diarrhea has stopped but my stools are still very soft, but very dark in color. What do you think this means?? Help!

doctor1 MD

My son is 14 and has chronic diarrhea . I know is lactose intolerant but the diarrhea is pretty much every day. He also has bouts of nausea . About once a month he will wake me out of a dead sleep at night and say he feels like he is going to throw up. I m so frustrated and don t know what to do. I always think its the flu , but I know that can t be every month. Please help!

doctor1 MD

My son is 24 with Cerebral Palsy he has never had any problems with keeping weight on or eating. About 6-7 months ago he had a hernia surgery he has now went from weighing 175 lbs to 113 lbs. He is Lactose intolerant and no matter what he tries to eat--small quantities etc. he vomits always even with phenogrin medication . He just seen a nutritionist and they are wanting to put him on a clear liquid diet for 8 days to clean his stomach. I am trying to find some higher calorie, easily digestible, lactose free food that he can try to eat. Any suggestions of what we can try and maybe ask if his doctor is missing something?? I am afraid that he will starve to death.

doctor1 MD

I suffer IBS , coeliac disease and am lactose intolerant and have knowingly suffered these things the past 4-5 years. I am a 20 year old female. I also have an eating disorder . In the past 24 hours I ve barely eaten due to suffering flu-like symptoms and not feelin up to eating. Through out the day I have passed a lot of stool and the consistency has changed as the day progressed. They have all smelt quite offensive, it started dark, hard and I had trouble passing - constipation as usual. As the day got on the stool got softer and looser but was still hard to pass. I passed a lose soft stool, light brown in colour about 6:30pm and I did not pass stool again for another 8 hours which was green, watery diarrhea . I have had slight cramping a but nothin out of the ordinary. Yesterday I ate a lot of wheat and dairy-based products that were high in fat and sugar.... Does this have anything to do with it? Or is it related to my flu-like symptoms? Also, I became quite overheated before I passed the diarrhea, could his have contributed towards it? Passed it twice in forty minutes, but not very much the second time. Any help or advice as to what this is would be highly appreciated! Thanks.

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing extreme flatulence ,very loud and embarrassing, and occasionally diarrhea also.

doctor1 MD

I am 78 years old and in reasonably good condition for that age. I have been taking prilasec anti-acid 30 mg a day for years --lately even with those pills I have been awakened nightly with bloating . I started taking over the counter gas pills...

doctor1 MD

AGE 70 YRS FEMALE , 1-2 PUSCELLS, ACIDIC REACTION ,SEMI FORMED ,COLOUR BROWN in stool test sample taken in morning 7:00AM. Kindly advise the meaning of this report and any precaution to be taken XXXX 0000