Daytime sleepiness, drowsiness and unable to sleep at night. Suggest treatment

Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Sleep Disorders
Question: I am a 32 year old businessman working in a family business. I have been struggling with sleep trouble for a long time. (nearly 7-8 years) The chief characteristics of the problem included: 1. Daytime sleepiness and drowsiness, 2. No sleep during nights as most of the nights in spite of following a sleep schedule and sleep hygiene I would not get sleep 3. A huge tendancy of sleeping at least 2 hours(could be upto 4 hours) during afternoon, 4. Tinnitus which as was pointed out by a doctor recently could be because of high triglycerides 5. When allowed to sleep as per when I like (e.g. during vacations, holidays) there was no apparent problem during sleep 6. Waking up at the desired time with great difficulty I am obese with my weight at 112 Kgs and my height is 6"0 Recently, I came across an article on a Disorder called Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder what is striking is my parents and spouse have noticed particularly that I dont have any issues when on vacatons or holidays This and the fact that having consulted with numerous sleep specialists there was no progress has led me to believe that I might have been misdiagnosed often with something else when I could be suffering from Delayed Phase Sleep Disorder What I would like from you is: 1. Further diagnosis of the problem i.e. if you could ask up some questions related to the problem and help me diagnose the exact problem based on your insights and experience 2. Name of a couple of SLEEP SPECIALISTS in Mumbai as I cannot find many references of the same I have consulted with Dr. XXXXXXX Devnani , Dr. Mahashur , Dr. XXXXXXX Desai and another Chest Physician/ Sleep Doctor but with limited progress and what I am afraid was misdiagnosis Thanks & Regards, Rushabh Doshi
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Go for polysomnography Detailed Answer: Hi sir, I have gone through your query. It suggests that you may be suffering from the sleep apnoea syndrome. For severity and better diagnosis, you may go for the polysomnography (also called a sleep study, is a test used to diagnose sleep disorders. It records your brain waves, the oxygen level in your blood, heart rate and breathing, as well as eye and leg movements) I personally advise to - 1. Weight reduction 2. Avoid alcohol, smoking, and sedatives, if you have. 3. Positional therapy. You may consult the Sleep Study Department at Saifee Hospital. Wish you good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 1 hour later
Dear dr. XXXXXXX Please read my question in detail once again This is highyly dissatisfactory reply after hours of "research" I have clearly mentioned in my details that I suffer from sleep apnea (mild). It seems it has not been read I have also mentioned I have consulted with many sleep doctors and have been misdiagnosed in my opinion Please provide further insight immediately I have also mentioned that I dont seem to have any problems when I sleep as per my own schedule like on vacations or holidays PLEASE READ WHAT ALL I HAVE MENTIONED!!
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: What is the basis of this disease? Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Thanks for your follow up question. I completely have gone through your query i.e. your symptoms, medical history and your physique etc. According to you, you have only mild Obstructive Sleep apnoea. But What is the basis of this disease? If you have only mild Obstructive Sleep apnoea according to polysomnography then there is no need to so much worry and you are absolutely right in your diagnosis as mentioned by you i.e.delayed sleep phase syndrome. This syndrome better treated by anti-stress medicine and chronotherapy. If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query.