Dark spot on arm and swelling on elbow. Taking generic plavex. Should I consult a doctor?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I awoke yesterday to find five black and blue marks on the onside of my right arm. They are of different sizes, colors light brown, yellows to XXXXXXX blackish, three have a harder bump and are tender to the touch. Also the inside of the elbow joine is swollen.
I sleep alone, have not lifted ar moved nothing heavy. I do take. Generic plavex 75MG, AM.
Should I have my Dr. Take a look?
Do these just "mystically) appear?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 37 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The presence of the marks you are describing and appear in the image, are usually due to damage of the small blood vessels in the skin. The different colours reflect different stages of breakdown of the blood present.
Spontaneous haemorrhages can occur especially in the presence of medication such as plavix.
Normally these would resolve on their own without any intervention but the fact that you have multiple sites, it may be best to have your doctor take a look at them, if possible.

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 14 hours later
My Primary care doctor examined them ths AM. He was quite certain they were due to the plavix and baby aspirin . "The good thing is, you know they are working ". He suggested using warm damp towels a couple of times A day, to lessen the swelling. tSince I must be on these meds, for at least year, shall I expect more?
Can they cause any damage? What would tht be?
Do I need to be extra careful in lifting things?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 9 hours later
It is possible that they can reoccur but there is no way to predict whether they will or not.
They will not cause any sustained damage.

In terms of lifting, you would more have to be careful to avoid any blunt trauma (mild or more severe). The lifting itself should not be problematic.

Please feel free to ask any other questions