Dark spot in the middle of upper lip. How long does it take to cure?

Dr. Rogers Nditanchou

Posted on Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a dark spot that just appeared in the middle part of my upper lip it does not hurt burn or anything it is not a bump or anything it kind of looks like blood under the skin it has been there for about 5 days what could this be and how long will it be here
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Too early to panic, seek dermatological opinion

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for the question,

It is important to know if you have had any notion of trauma around the mouth region lately or not. A keen observation to know if such spots have not appeared in any other areas of the body is also important. If it is the very first time , or has happened before or in a relative are important clues to an appropriate diagnosis.

In case you have experienced any notion of abnormal prolonged bleeding before, this could simply be a clotting or bleeding disorder. Doing a complete blood count could be necessary to know the amount of platelets. Low platelets usually below 0000/mm3 are usually accompanied by spontanoeus bleeds. the hemoglobin level and levels of other blood cells shall permit or give direction to further investigations (maybe bone marrow aspirate) if need be.

Vitamin K deficiency, liver disease are common causes of spontaeous bleeds. The scenario makes this possibility however very very unlikely.

I do not think considering the fact it is not itching and you are not experiencing any spectacular abnormal signs or symptoms that this should be something very serious. I however suggest you seek the opinion of a dermatologist. A complete review of the teguments s (skin, mucous membranes, hairs, nails) with a good clinical review shall give correct direction for making an appropriate diagnosis and drawing a management plan. In case you have not had any notion of recent trauma, I believe you need not panic.

However, seeing a dermatologist, to me, is the best and surest thing to do. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Please , do feel free asking any follow up questions in case you need specific help. thanks and kind regards.

Dr Rogers

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T