Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Dark spot in the middle of upper lip. How long does it take to cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 193 Questions
I have a dark spot that just appeared in the middle part of my upper lip it does not hurt burn or anything it is not a bump or anything it kind of looks like blood under the skin it has been there for about 5 days what could this be and how long will it be here
Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Too early to panic, seek dermatological opinion

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for the question,

It is important to know if you have had any notion of trauma around the mouth region lately or not. A keen observation to know if such spots have not appeared in any other areas of the body is also important. If it is the very first time , or has happened before or in a relative are important clues to an appropriate diagnosis.

In case you have experienced any notion of abnormal prolonged bleeding before, this could simply be a clotting or bleeding disorder. Doing a complete blood count could be necessary to know the amount of platelets. Low platelets usually below 0000/mm3 are usually accompanied by spontanoeus bleeds. the hemoglobin level and levels of other blood cells shall permit or give direction to further investigations (maybe bone marrow aspirate) if need be.

Vitamin K deficiency, liver disease are common causes of spontaeous bleeds. The scenario makes this possibility however very very unlikely.

I do not think considering the fact it is not itching and you are not experiencing any spectacular abnormal signs or symptoms that this should be something very serious. I however suggest you seek the opinion of a dermatologist. A complete review of the teguments s (skin, mucous membranes, hairs, nails) with a good clinical review shall give correct direction for making an appropriate diagnosis and drawing a management plan. In case you have not had any notion of recent trauma, I believe you need not panic.

However, seeing a dermatologist, to me, is the best and surest thing to do. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Please , do feel free asking any follow up questions in case you need specific help. thanks and kind regards.

Dr Rogers

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor