• question-icon

    Dark pigmentation scars on arm,chest,skin infection

Posted on Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hi, i am an 26 year old indian from london. i have mid brown skin tone. i have had dark flat pigmentation scars ranging from small spots to an inch size allover on my arm and chest since i was a kid from an skin infection. i am currently using melederm to reduce the dark pigmentation. i am thinking about having tca peels. could you telll me what is the best way to remove those pgmentation plz. i dont mind the scars as they are flat but i do want the colour to be the same as my skin tone. i never worn a t-shirt in my life or went swimming because of this problem, so could u plz help me. thanks doc!
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 9 hours later
Thank you for the query,

The condition what you most probably have is POST INFLAMMATORY PIGMENTATION (to what you had in past).
If I am not wrong Meladerm is a combination cream containing arbutin, gegawhite ,kojic acid etc. & its an OTC product. I don't think its going to work good in your case. For PIH( POST INFLAMMATORY PIGMENTATION) you should use a triple combination cream. This should contain Tretinoin, Hydroquinone and steroid. This combination cream is a prescription based cream and should only be used at night. You should always use a good spf medicated sunscreen daily over the exposed parts of body where you have PIH.

As far as TCA peel is concerned, it is considered as a very strong peel for Indian origin and esp for the body parts. We as dermatologist usually recommend it for face and not for the body. In dark brown patients there is always a chance of post peel pigmentation. My personal opinion would be not to go for a TCA peel. As you said you are from London, I am sure you would find lot of doctors using this for pigmentation, but then it is good for Type 1 skin i.e fair complexion patients .

Rather you can go for LASER treatment which would be more safe in your case ,though costly.
Lasers like Q-switched Nd:Yag would help you good,as lasers can work over XXXXXXX dermal pigmentation as well.But it is not that it can give you 100% result, so you need to have a realistic expectation here. Results vary from patient to patient and is variable.

So, I would advise you to consult a good dermatologist who is doings lasers in his practice and can guide you for the same.

I hope this answers your query,if you have any further question you can write back to us.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Bharat Chawda


Practicing since :1996

Answered : 988 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Laser treatment

doctor1 MD

Good Morning Dr. Prasad, My name is AAAAA. I have hypothyroidism and I am on 25 mg of Thyronom. In the last 4 years have developed...

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor I have a mild hirsutism (majorly on my lower face). I started with laser treatment therapy 3 years back but have found no improvement...

doctor1 MD

I am a writer, conducting research for a character who was severely burned, (2nd-3rd degree), over a great portion of her left side. This includes...

doctor1 MD

hi, i m 32 years old with pcod. i m obese and have body and facial hair growth.I m taking homeopathy treatment for last one year and i see that...

doctor1 MD

Hello, thanks for your time, I was kicked in the face on august 21st, leaving me with two black eyes. There is still discoloration where the...

doctor1 MD

Noticed swelling between ankle bone and sole of both feet. Recent vericose veins on shins are unsightly. Symptoms are blood pressure increased from...

doctor1 MD

I have had a headache in my right temple for three weeks. Had a CAT scan was completely normal. Tried Imitrex , Midrin , and a lot of...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

163 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Bharat Chawda
  • Q - Mosquito bite red lumps, itchy, prurigo simplex, scabies

  • Q - Acne on face, foul odor, pustules, rashes on penis base, skin flaking,...

  • Q - Dark spots, glycolic peels, becker's nevus, laser treatment,...

  • Q - What should I do to overcome body odor and also smelling breasts? What...

  • Q - Stomach discomfort,outbursts on penis,itching,sensitive to touch,dark...

  • Q - Itching sensation under the skin around pacemaker. Is it a problem?

  • Q - What are the broken blister like things on the penis which look like red...

  • Q - Severe painful boils near buttock,stomach problem

  • Q - Non-healing sebaceous cyst on the temple area. Lab test found malignant...

  • Q - Had sex while infected in throat. Are itchy red spots on the penis signs...