Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

173 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Dark melasma like patches appeared on face. Not cured by hydroquionone. Alternate medicine?

Answered by
Dr. Sudarshan


Practicing since :2005

Answered : 1391 Questions

Posted on Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Pigmentation Problems
Question: Dear Doctor,

Hoping to get a solution to my problem.
I am a 29 year old fair complexioned woman. Over the last 4 years, my face has become 3 shades darker than the rest of my body and also developed symmetrical dark melasma like patches near the cheekbone area. I have used various medications starting with hydroquionone, retinoids, glycolic acids and high end cosmetic brands. During the usage of hydroquionone, there was a great improvement but later had bad reaction and my face started becoming darker again. All high end cosmetics seem to superficially improve my condition but after a few days of usage, the problem returns. I avoid sun exposure to the maximum and also use sun block when I step out. I am desparate to find a solution.
Thank you!!
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Melasma is a common condition occuring due to hormonal changes and sun exposure.As you are using sunblock continue the usage.
You can try Kligmans modified formula cream like Triglow cream only at night over the affected area.It will give faster results.Use it for 3- 4 weeks.
Then after 1 month you can shift to Depiwhite cream which is steroid and hydroquinone free alternative.You can use it safely for months together to maintain the good results obtained.
Use good quality moisturizer all the time while using these creams.
Maintain Sun protection with good sunscreen like Melagaurd sun screen with SPF 50.
You can use Venusia soap or dove soap for face.
Take a lot of vitamin C in diet and drink lot of water to maintain hydration of face.
Vitamin C inhibits melanin synthesis in screen and also it helps in lightening the skin.
Take one anti oxidant capsule like Cap.Derantox daily.This helps in skin lightening and prevents oxidative damage in skin.
Consider visiting a dermatologist for Chemical peeling and other procedures for maintaining good long term effect.

Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 6 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Thank you for the prompt response. Just to let you know that I was treated with hydroquinone 4% and also corticosteroid creams like diprovate. Now, I feel my skin reacts badly to hydroquinone and kojic acid as I don't see any improvement but witness rebound hyperpigmentation. I have undergone chemical peels too with no much help. I am looking for any alternative prescription besides vitamin c, kojic acid or hydroquinone. As suggested, I will incorporate Derantox cap in my regimen.

Thanks and Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 16 hours later
Hi again,
You can start with DEPIWHITE cream it is hydroquinone and steroid and vitamin c free.
Also maintain strict photoprotection while using the cream.Continue with Cap. derantox .
Diprovate cream contains betamethasone cream.It should not be used over face and may cause thining of skin as in your case.
Use good quality moisturizer cream with XXXXXXX butter .
Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Procedures

Recent questions on  Hydroquinone

doctor1 MD

after an insect bite on face ther is a line of black/brown dark mark on my face and its not fading , the mark is still there , i can t use hydroquinone because it causes skin side effect to me , is there any other way to diminish that black mark,, its on my cheek

doctor1 MD

hi, my name is swapnil i was using MELLACARE which contain hydroquinone and mometasone,and a good sunscreen lotion too. It has shown good results but when i stopped the treatment it leaves uneven skin tone in my face and very dark patches near nose and mouth area.these dark patches are very embarrassing,and now i am very scared of any kind of skin treatment.I have a very oily skin.please suggest me what i can do to make it look better.plzz help.

doctor1 MD

iam using melacare fore since 1 year for hyper pigmentation. if it stopped for 1 day also my face becoming dark. can i continue this one only or else any permanent solution is their. pls suggest

doctor1 MD

Some area of my face skin has black patches. I used to not have it before. The remaining face skin is soft smooth and young. Please help in removing black patches and getting soft smooth and young skin. Please let me know of any cream that I can...

doctor1 MD

Hi Doc,Since using 4% hydroquinone,I have burnt my skin and this had resulted in a black scar/patches.Although, this scar has healed, the dark patches from the burns remain.It has been a year now but the dark scars remain and are quite visible (It makes me look old). I am using Demelan for a week now.Can you help me lighten the scar as it has seriously effected my confidence at work Regards,Jose

doctor1 MD

Dear Sir, Melacare r Melacare plus .which cream is better,? Because I m already using Melacare cream face skin is getting white but my lips are getting black while using that I m aavoided to use near eyes and mouth and while in cold season skin...

doctor1 MD

My dermatologist has prescribed a formula to treat hyperpigmentation on my chin area only to be applied at night in winter - 4 months in a year. It contains hydroquinone, retin A, elocon and ascorbic acid. Is this safe to use and would there be any side effects if I stop using this formula?