Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Cyst under foreskin, skin color changed

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 988 Questions
Foreskin colour change & cyst :

Last year a small cyst developed under my foreskin, and it has persisted since then. Above the cyst there has also been a colour/texture change on the foreskin in a distinct area. It has been a year and I'm sure the size of both the cyst and texture change have both been increasing slowly. They're painless and I can't really feel it unless I masturbate, and it causes the cyst to be slightly irritated at times. I've been to the GP but for some reason he thinks its normal.

I'm 21, and I haven't been sexually active in the past 3 years... so I'm really curious as to what this could be.
Heres a picture... any help would be great. I cant seem to attach images so I'll link:

Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 2 hours later

Thank you for posting the query,

I went through the pictures send by you .The first picture shows a red colored plaque (not a cyst) ,but the second picture shows a small swelling (like a cyst) .

I understood your problem however it would be good if you can answer few of my queries:
1) Do you experience any kind of itching over the red colored plaque?
2) Do you observe any scaling over the same patch?
3) Regarding the cyst, are you able to hold the cyst between your fingers?
4) And when you hold or squeeze the cyst do you see any cheesy material coming out of it?
5) Are the pin prick sensation over the red plaque normal? (Do you feel the pin prick pain over the patch when you use a needle to prick over it).

If you can reply me with the answers, I would be able to suggest you better.

However, I shall address your concern based on your current given information & the pictures.

The red colored plaque seems to be a fungal infection, but probably I would be able to answer better once you reply to the questions.

The nodular swelling (cyst) seems to be a sebaceous cyst, which is a benign condition and nothing much to bother about. But for cosmetic reasons you can get it removed if it is becoming bigger.

You should consult a dermatologist for both these lesions and I am sure your problem can be solved. Meanwhile you may try using anti-fungal cream like candid cream over the red patch .The cyst however has to be removed surgically.

Awaiting your reply

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Cyst under foreskin, skin color changed 3 days later
Thank you for your quick response. To answer those questions -
No there is no itching or scaling.
The cyst can be held between the fingers and since it is under the foreskin there is no cheesy material.
And finally I cant feel anything on the plaque. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 12 hours later

Thank you for the reply,

According to your answers the first thing which we should think of is a fungal infection (the red patch) and it should be treated with a oral anti-fungal tablet.Along with this you can also apply any good anti fungal cream like candid cream.If at all you don't respond to this then we should think of other diagnosis like zoons balanitis .
And finally you should also look for sensations over the patch .You can check this using a fine needle and giving a slight prick over the patch .If the patch is senseless then its a matter of concern and you should seek a specialists advise and consultation .You might even need a skin biopsy from the patch.

For this you should consult a competent dermatologist and take proper treatment.

The nodular lesion you have seems to be a sebaceous cyst ,which as discussed earlier can be surgically removed if it is bothering you much.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor