Cut on finger from broken glass. Red bump appeared and hurts to touch. Is it dangerous?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: I cut the top of my ring finger joint with broken glass while washing dishes on thanksgiving, nearly 4 weeks ago. It has healed, but is still red and there is a bump under the skin. It also still hurts. If the bump is a blood clot could that travel and be dangerous? Does this need follow up treatment?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

In a 4 weeks it should be healed completely without any sign. Otherwise there has to be some part of the glass left under the skin (this probably has happen in your case). If so, it wont get healed without an incision and removal of this part. And that is why it still hurts and the bump is visible.
This bum for sure is not the blood clot and it wont travel anywhere so you should not worry about.
It is necessary for you to visit a surgeon and have it checked if there is anything left inside.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.