Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Cure for seborrheic skin condition?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 1561 Questions
Is there any cure for Seberic skin condition? Not sure of the spelling? Flare ups have red ichy spots, new mole type growths appear around neck and arms. Family Dr. says they will not turn cancerous. Does not remove them. Extremely ichy, dandruff scalp.
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.

1. Seborrheic dermatitis can be treated. This is characterized by erythematous(red), scaly lesion and dandruff is the common complaint.

2. Avoid triggers: It has multiple trigers like quantity of sebum secretion, increased sweating, external localfactors, emotional stress, diabetes, over weight and genetic cause. Since it is acute and your diabetes is controlled try to avoid physical or mental stress and can do out door exercises with proper nutritious diet.

3.Selenium sulphide shampoo is available for dryness, folliculitis and dandruff and you can use it for scalp. If any sensitivity reaction then need to stop it.

Anti fungal like ketoconazole are also most effective. Can be taken orally and shampoo and cream is also available.

To remove scales you can apply keratolytic like salicylic acid ointment.

To relieve symptoms you can apply topical corticosteroid cream or lotion which is highly effective in relieving your sympyoms.

4. This cant be turned into cancer. Consult your doctor and discuss for further management.

Hope I answered your question. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.
Wish you good health. Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Cure for seborrheic skin condition? 13 hours later
I want to thank you for the reply. Very helpful.
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 49 minutes later
Hi Thank you so much.

If you have any health related query, you can ask me any time and I will be very happy to answer you. Kindly close the query if you are satisfied. I wish you a very happy and good health.

Kind regards
Dr.Vidya KR
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor