Crying, nervous, worried of death, anxiety, panic, different periods. Is it peri menopause symptoms?

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 21 May 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Question: I'm 42 and have been experiencing some different feelings, I have been crying, nervous, worried of death, anxiety, panic....it has been happening since feb. and I did go to the doctor but really said nothing and gave me Adavane to calm my anxiety(when needed). I have been reading and I wondered all these changes I am feeling could it be peri menopause symptoms, because also in a previous question I mentioned my period is becoming a little different also. Thank you for your help.

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

The symptoms wich you have described seem to be a mixture of anxiety and depressive symptoms. Now, in your case, there could be the following possibilities:

1) Perimenopauseal syndrome: Since you are in the peri-menopausal age group and you are also having irregular periods, this is a likely possibility. It is common to have such symptoms of anxiety, mood changes, etc. due to the hormonal imbalances occuring during menopause.

2) Thyroid problems: You have mentioned that you are on thyroid medication and so, there is a possibility that your thyroid problem is not well controlled with medication, and this could be the underlying cause for the anxiety / depressive symptoms.

3) A independent anxiety or depressive disorder: Sometimes, certain neuro-chemical imbalances can result in such psychological disorders.

I would suggest that you have your thyroid levels rechecked to see if the thyroid problem is under control. If you are experiencing any other prominent perimenopausal symptoms like hot flashes, headaches, palpitations, urinary symptoms, etc. then you may need to consider seeing a gynecologist for regular medication. Low doses of SSRI anti-depressants can be effective in controlling your symptoms. You can also try relaxation techniques like deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, yoga, meditation, etc. A healthy diet, regular food timings, proper sleep habits and regular physical exercise can all be beneficial for your problems.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist