Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Crotch itch, scalp and ear itch, fungal infection, partner gets yeast infection on having sex. Treatment ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 2130 Questions
Over two years ago my crotch started to itch really bad with no visible signs of rash or symptoms. I applied over the counter creams and ointments with no relief. Since then my scalp and inner ears have also started itching. I went to the doctor and he prescibed me Nystatin cream with Triamcinolone and Fluconazole 150mg single tablet assuming it was a fungus. It helped for a couple of weeks, but the itching came back. I have tried every natural topical remedy on the internet, taken various supplements and changed my diet, still nothing works. Also tried a prescription ointment incase it was bacterial and that made it worse. My girlfriend also says everytime we have sex she gets a yeast infection, which also leads me to believe it is a type of yeast/fungus. I believed it was a fungal infection, but if it isn't, what else could it be? It is driving me crazy and I don't know what else to do.
Tue, 22 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 2 hours later

Thanks for the query.

You might be suffering from chronic fungal infection that has become resistant to fluconazole 150 mg single dose. Same is transmitted by you to your girl friend or vice versa.

So first go for fungal test also known as KOH test to find the type of fungus. There are centers which do fungal culture sensitivity test. Higher generation anti fungal drug along proper antibiotic course is needed. Both of you should take treatment simultaneously. Treatment may some time to eliminate the disease. So it would be better to see a Dermatologist for complete evaluation and treatment.

Hope I have answered your question well to your satisfaction. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Wish you speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Crotch itch, scalp and ear itch, fungal infection, partner gets yeast infection on having sex. Treatment ? 8 hours later
Ok, thank you Dr. Bajoria. If I do have a chronic fungal infection could I show no visible signs? Because I have no kind of rash or discolorations what so ever. All I have is chronic itching. Also I don't have any medical insurance so is a KOH test expensive? Could I go to a walk-in clinic and request a KOH test instead of seeing a Dermatologist?
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 8 hours later

Thanks for getting back to me.

     Chronic or persistent itching can be due to many reasons ,fungal infection is one of them.As in other form of chronic itching same is not so easily communicable to other during or after contact.In most of cases fungal infection produces visible signs,but in few incompletely treated cases ,visible sign may be masked.KOH is not expensive in India.In my opinion dermatologist opinion is must in your case ,before going for any tests.
Treatment should also be taken under the guidance & supervision of doctor.Self medication should always be avoided.

Hope I have answered your query, Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor