Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Creatinine level 2.21, tests normal, not sick or on medication. Controlling high levels ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
Hi my daughter is 18 and her creatinine level was found 2.21 two days ago and 2.78 yesterday.I am really worried cause i have no idea what is happening. All the other test are good. She has not been sick or on any medication lately.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will try to provide you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on with your daughter.

There are three major categories of dysfunction which may be causing her creatinine to be elevated. The first category would be hydration. For some reason she is quite dehydrated and has not been able to drink or eat enough over the past couple of weeks this will cause an elevation of the creatinine. This generally improves with intravenous fluid hydration.

The next category which could be affecting her kidney function would be exposure to some type of substance which had a toxic effect on the kidney. This may include some medications such as antibiotics. Occasionally if a young person has an infection with a streptococcal bacteria this may also cause an acute drop in kidney function which may affect the creatinine.

The last category which may affect that creatinine would be some type of obstruction in the kidney tract. This might include something like a kidney stone.

I am sure that the physicians who are seeing her are looking into all three of these major categories. While her kidney function is significantly limited at this point it does not look like she needs dialysis right now. Sometimes we are able to reverse this type of kidney dysfunction with medications and fluid hydration. She should certainly see a kidney specialist. They are known as nephrologists.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my answer to be both informative and helpful. I am sure you are experiencing quite a bit of stress regarding your daughter and I hope to be able to provide you with good reassurance.

If you have any additional questions I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor