Cranky child, white bumps on tongue, taken vaccine. Upset due to teething or white spots?

Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari

Posted on Thu, 6 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Question: My son has been very cranky for the past couple of days he has what looks like some white tastebuds on the tip of his tongue. He got his 6month shots on friday i am not sure if he is still upset from them teething or the white spots. The dr said it wasnt thrush but it has not gone away, any ideas. His tongue looks like the tastebuds are white maybe a little enlarged but not by much
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
White taste buds seen on tongue can be inflamed due to viral causes. But as pediatrician has already seen it, it is unlikely even thrush can be made out on clinical examination. But his doctor has ruled out , so no need to worry about it.
As he is 6 month, it likely that teething can be cause for his crankiness.

You can feel through his gums if teeth are coming or not, you can feel hard gums.

Sometimes if you have started weaning for him then change of food can cause stomach ache and make him cranky.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.