Cracked cervical vertebrae and fractured large bone in forearm. Proper diagnosis?

Posted on Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Doc, please help me understand this delimma. My son had a football injury, as a back, he took head on collision with several players. If his injuries are cervical vertebrae 2-7 cracked, and some shattered; R shldr nerves and cup damaged, and large bone in R forearm fractured. What would your initial written diagnosis and exam. with this patient?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

I would like to examine cervical spine for swelling, bony tenderness,skin condition and detailed neurological examination(muscle power of upper and lower limb,tone of muscles,reflexes)
For right shoulder and forearm- swelling, bony tenderness, deformity, abnormal mobility and neurovascular status of right upper limb.

My diagnosis after examination might be - Cervical spine injury with fracture dislocation right shoulder with neurological involvement with ipsilateral fracture radius.

I hope this answers your query. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing your speedy recovery...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
initially, would you x-ray the cervical spine, and if so and found fractures and bone fragments, what would be your written diagnosis in this case? Same senario with the
fractured large bone in right forearm.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 8 hours later
Thanks for writing again

If I suspect cervical bone fracture after examination, first of all I immobbilize the cervical spine by cervical collar or sand bags because mobility can cause or aggrevate nurological defict.After that I would like to go for cervical spine x-ray ap AP and lateral view and if fracture found cervical vertebra 2-7 on xray then my written diagnosis in this case - Fracture cervical vertebra C2-C7 with or without neurological deficit.

I hopes this will help you.If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion.

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement