Could you confirm whether acupuncture improves embryo transfer success?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in Infertility Problem
Question: I heard that acupuncture improves the embryo transfer success. Could you confirm whether this is true? If yes, how many acupuncture sessions is advisable? Should this be done before or after IVF?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: 2 SESSIONS ADVISED, ACUPUNCTURE BENEFITS IVF. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Various experts hold varying views on whether acupuncture impacts the success rates of IVF. Various studies have been conducted on this subject, and the consensus seems to emerge, that acupuncture does increase the implantation rates of the embryo after transfer in IVF. Acupuncture is most beneficial when two sessions are performed, one half an hour before, and the other half an hour after the embryo transfer. No further or additional sessions are required. Please read the link attached in this answer, they will provide more information if you require that - http://www.fertstert.org/article/S0015-0282(06)00212-3/abstract All the best for your IVF attempt. Please feel free to discuss further.