• question-icon

Could stress cause insomnia which has been persistent despite taking medication?

Posted on Fri, 14 Jun 2019 in Mental Health
Question: I have had insomnia for years, but the last couple of months there are some side effects that friends are noticing. I am on 20mg of Lexapro, daily, and for sleep I've taken 1 mg of clonosopam, so I've added ZZZquil with the clonozopam. The ZZZquil I take each night is anywhere from a half a bottle to the full 12 oz bottle. Yesterday I picked up a prescription for seraquel. My symptoms include a head tic, raising of the eyebrows, not looking like myself, constipation, and challenging to focus, and chronic head and neck pain. I've had a EKG (normal) lab work that revealed I'm anemic, and a cat scan which came out fine. Before taking seraquel, I took trazadone @ a 50 mg dose. I've taken trazadone in the past starting @ 200 mg and ending with 400 mg and last year, and the large dose of 400 mg did not help. There have been plenty of triggers from a narcissistic ex husband, and recently I'm no longer working at my new job this year. I have been to 2 sleep clinics, UCSF and Salt Lake city. They both concluded that my insomnia was due to stress and found nothing wrong with me physically.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:

You are describing insomnia due to stress that has not responded well to Seroquel due to side effects. You have also tried Trazodone.

I would recommend trying two different medications that are often useful. First is Melatonin, used at doses 2 hours before sleep. The second would be Mirtazapine, 30 minutes before sleep every night for several weeks. Either of these options may help with this problem.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe
Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist