Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
137 Doctors are Online

Could red bump on labia be a sign of STD?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2581 Questions
I have small bump on my labia. I tried to squeeze nothing comes out, just gets more red
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Cyst or an infected follicle... Detailed Answer: Hi, Small bump on labia are not uncommon. The bump can be a cyst or an infected hair follicle. It is difficult to differentiate the two based on history alone however an infected follicle is more painful and red than sterile cyst. In all probabilities you will need to see a gynecologist for closer examination. Your doctor can decide whether or not the cyst requires surgical removal. As you plan the appointment, I would discourage you from squeezing it. Squeezing increases inflammation and chance of infection. Instead you can try warm compress and use over the counter motrin twice a day to reduce inflammation and redness. You may also want to apply antibiotic cream such as neosporin on the bump and keep the area clean. Equally important is to avoid sexual intercourse until the bump is cleared. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Could red bump on labia be a sign of STD? 3 minutes later
can it be sign of a std?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Less likely... Detailed Answer: Hi, The common STD involving labia present either as multiple vescicular (grouped bumps) or like a skin warts. If the bump doesn't match either of these description it is less likely to be STD. That being said, if you have history of unprotected sexual intercourse with an unknown partner, STD needs to be excluded by various tests (if required). Your gynecologist will know about the various tests. Hope this helps. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor