question-icon

Could pain in the lower back radiating to the leg be a symptom of sciatica?

Posted on Tue, 19 Mar 2019
Question: How can I tell if I have sciatic nerve problem.
What can I do to treat it and alleviate leg pain which originates in my lower back? Has been going on about 3 weeks
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel (19 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
It is sciatica pain only.

Detailed Answer:

The pain you have described is sciatica- any pain coming from back to legs is sciatica. There could be different causes for sciatica like slipped disc, spinal canal stenosis, etc.- which can be diagnosed mainly on MRI.

I treat all my patients with sciatica with painkillers, muscle relaxants, and physiotherapy. If they do not improve in 10 days then I advise MRI and further treatment would depend on MRI findings. I would recommend the same for you also.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Gopal Goel, Orthopaedic Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon