Could herpes virus remain asymptomatic in the body for a decade or more?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 25 May 2018 in General Health
Question: 2 Quetions 1 is I had been married for 22 years when Kaiser diagnosed a sore on my penis as Herpes 1. I haven't had sex with anyone else and I know she hasn't either. When I was a kid I used to get cold sores. Could that herpes virus stay with me for that long?
My wife has Alzheimer's and I have been giving her a very small dose of marijuana extract in honey. It seems to have calmed her and has eliminated her angry outbursts. Is there any problems with this.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding herpes simplex infection- it is a life long infection

Detailed Answer:
Good Morning. Thank you for writing to me.
I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.

Once acquired, herpes simplex virus (HSV) infection stays with you forever. The virus lays dormant inside spinal nerve root ganglions. It may reactivate from time to time and migrate along the spinal nerve to cause a clinical episode which manifests as fluid filled vesicles or cold sores. HSV type1 commonly causes cold sores on or around the lips whereas HSV type 2 usually causes genital herpes but this distinction is not absolute.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng