question-icon

Could A Tiny Spot On The Nipple Be An Indication Of Cancer?

Posted on Mon, 9 May 2022
Question: I am 48 years of age and female. I noticed a tiny red spot on my nipple which hurts a bit. I do quite a lot of running but always have done. I have just found out that I am in menopause. I saw the doctor who said he wasn’t worried but has referred me anyway. I am very worried about this. Could it be cancer?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it will be difficult to upload a photo as it is such a tiny red it. It isn’t coming out well on the photo from my phone. It has been there for a couple of days and it stings.

Is cancer a possibility?
Answered by Dr. Dr. Kakkar (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload images

Detailed Answer:

Perhaps it is an inflamed gland. How long since you have it?
I request you to kindly upload a few images of the affected area in " reports section " so that I am able to have a look and guide you accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you need any more assistance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brief Answer:
Use a topical antibiotic

Detailed Answer:

Most likely it is an inflamed areolar gland. I suggest you to use an OTC topical antibacterial e.g. Neosporin ointment, twice daily. I don't think it is a cancer

Take care. Let me know if you need any more assistance.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Dr. Kakkar (41 minutes later)
Why would it become inflamed? Is it to do with menopause? Why do you not think it could be a cancer?
Did you see my last question? Is it related to menopause? Why do you not think it is cancer?
Answered by Dr. Dr. Kakkar (24 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Regarding a spot on nipple

Detailed Answer:

A short history/ acute onset (a couple of days) goes against cancer. Moreover, the symptoms of pain and stinging are suggestive of a skin infection. Perhaps it got inflamed due to friction from clothing. It is not related to menopause.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist