Could a hernia, fatty liver and gallstones cause stomach bloating and backache?

Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo

Posted on Tue, 9 Oct 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I'm a 53 year old male with type 2 diabetes mellitus.  I've been diagnosed with GAD,  depression,  2 inguinal hernias, obesity. In February 2017 I was urinating more than I thought I should. So I went into my doctor.  They found microscopic hematuria in my urine 3-10hpf.  They referred me to a urologist.  When I went to the urologist they did another urinalysis,  rectal check,  CT  scan of my abdominal and pelvic areas, cyctoscopy,  and a PSA blood draw. My PSA level was a 2. They said everything was normal. They found right lateral hydrothrophy of my prostrate.  That I had possible gallstones and a fatty liver. This reassured me for awhile. Then fear started creeping in that they missed something and I had cancer somewhere.  I started running to my doctor every other day.  I had about three episodes of syncope.  The hospital did 2 CT scan of my head, a lot of blood work and multiple chest xrays.  They said everything was normal.  My doctor said everything was normal and I was suffering from anxiety.  They put me on venlafixine 37.5mg.  They just upped it 5 weeks ago to 75mg . I start seeing a psychiatrist Wednesday.  I also had a colonoscopy two years ago and they said it was normal.  I had 1 polyp that they said had no way of being cancer. I've also had fatigue and back pain. The back pain has been off and on for years.  Here are my questions. 1. Do you think the doctors have done enough testing to rule out anything serious? 2. Do you think it's my anxiety? 3. Could the hernias, fatty liver, and gallstones cause the stomach bloating and back pain? Thanks for the help.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Possible gallstones

Detailed Answer:

"As"per your query is concerned and as per your question I think doctor's have done testing in right time, and they have ruled out serious things for which you are afraid. Do take all prescribed medications for GAD and your back pain and stomach bloating can be due to gallstones. So follow like this -

1)Do a clinical exam by your treating Doctor[gastroenterologist] and to confirm do an ERCP scan.

2)Discuss with your treating Doctor about surgical procedures like [cholecystectomy].

Do follow lifestyle modifications like this -

1)Don't skip meals. Try to stick to your usual meal times each day. Skipping meals or fasting can increase the risk of gallstones.

2)Try to lose weight slowly. If you need to lose weight, go-slow. Aim to lose 1 or 2 pounds per week.

3)Try to maintain a healthy weight. Obesity and being overweight increase the risk of gallstones and it's complications. Work to achieve a healthy weight by reducing the number of calories you eat and increasing the amount of physical activity you get.

Once you achieve a healthy weight, work to maintain that weight by continuing your healthy diet and continuing to exercise.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 22 minutes later
you sound pretty sure they've done enough testing to rule out cancer.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Do not worry for cancer

Detailed Answer:

"As"per your history and details provided, you should not be worried about cancer at all and never think about it, and I am 100% sure that they have ruled out it.

Follow up: Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 3 hours later
since you're 100% of no cancer I will stop worrying .
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 6 hours later
Brief Answer:

You are right

Detailed Answer:

"As"per your query is concerned you are right and if you need further guidance then follow me in my page and it will be a pleasure for me to help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 7 hours later
thank you!
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Thanks

Detailed Answer:

Thanks

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Uday Nath Sahoo, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj