Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Could I resume back to sports and gym after ACL reconstruction surgery on right knee?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
I had an ACL reconstruction surgery on my right knee a year and a half ago. I had taken up cycling (~10 kms daily) post recovery and have been doing it since the past one year. I wanted to resume sports and gym. Just wanted to check if it is okay to take up running (treadmill) or sports with less contact (tennis, squash).
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You can return to tennis and squash. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. As you had tolerated cycling well since past one year after ACL reconstruction surgery, you can return to tennis and squash. It is also okay to take up running (treadmill). You have to continue exercises to strengthen your gluts and butt muscles to help control your leg motion and reduce your risk of damaging the ACL in the future. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Could I resume back to sports and gym after ACL reconstruction surgery on right knee? 34 minutes later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX Thanks for the prompt response. One more quick query, would you recommend me to consult an orthopedic surgeon before resuming these sports and if possible, can you refer me to someone in Bangalore?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX G.P. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Nice to hear from you. Yes, It is better to consult an orthopaedic surgeon before resuming these sports. There are many good orthopaedician in Bangalore. Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX G.P is one of them. You can consult him for proper examination.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor