Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Coughing, tingling, prickling sensation in lower back, no chest pain. Should I see an allergist?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
Good evening. Last night while we were having dinner. I started coughing from eating dry cornbread. The coughing led me to start experiencing tingling and a prickling sensation in my lower back that wound up in my the back portion of my right arm. It got to the point that the prickling sensation was hurting. The coughing subsided after a couple of minutes as did the prickling sensation. Afterwards, my right arm felt different. Not quite sure how to explain, but different. It has occurred twice today. The coughing and the prickling sensation were not as severe as last night. I have felt fine otherwsie. No chest pain, tightness, or any issues that I would associate wiht a heart attack.

I do take a regimen of oral inhalants for the COPD that keeps the allergies and everything under control at this point. It is my intention to see my med doctor tomorrow. One question, also, should I see the allegist first or my fam med physician?

Thank you, XXXXXXX

Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 5 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The cough you experienced was probably an allergy or irritating cough but the tingling and numbness might be neuropathic.
Sometimes during violent cough we strain a muscle or ligament and cause nerve impingement thereby causing sudden pain and tingling.
Another possibility in copd patients is the rupture of bullae in lung tissue which too needs assessment for severity and appropriate treatment.
So the treatment is mostly rest and analgesics and it may resolve.
But if the allergic cough persists then the continued strain might worsen the symptom.
You need to consult your family physician first who can evaluate you, confirm the diagnosis and if
required get a xray chest done.Based on that he may or may not (if symptoms resolve)refer you to
your allergist.
Hope I have answered your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor