Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Coughed up. Noticed thick and very fibrous clump of phlegm. Which specialist should I consult?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10363 Questions
I have had a word throat for a day or so. The irritation has caused unproductive coughing although I felt like something was in my throat. Just a few moments ago I coughed up what looked like a thick, very fibrous clump of phlegm (?). It is thicker in some parts and blood throughout like veins. I have kept it to show a doctor but not sure what type of doctor to see. what is this? Should I go to an urgent care?
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The piece of tissue that you have coughed up could be a detached polyp or a part of the respiratory tract mucosa that became detached due to an inflammation in the area. A histopathological examination will help in the confirmation.
If there is any bleeding form your throat and the raw sensation is persistent then you need to attend an ER for proper examination and management. Otherwise you can fix an appointment with an ENT surgeon for treatment. Doing warm saline gargles and steam inhalation will provide you a symptomatic relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor