Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Cottage cheese discharge, itchy, tender breasts, abdominal cramps. Negative pregnancy test. Worried

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 1417 Questions
My last period was On XXXXXXX 5. First week of July, i had pre-menstrual symptoms like breast tenderness and cramps and i had light bleeding for 3 days. It's very light that I just noticed it when I wiped with tissue. I didn't have any period on August but I still have my regular pre-menstrual symptoms so I thought it's coming out but i was disappointed. First week of September, i had cottage cheesy like discharge for 3days, it's itchy but no odor and just went away on its own. Today, im having this pre-menstrual symptoms again for 4 days now, my breast is so tender and painful, cramps on my abdomen. I feel flushed and exhausted and sleepy most of the time. Half an hour ago, I stand up out of bed and I felt excruciating pain on my left abdomen. At first, I thought I was pregnant but I took 3 home pregnancy test since July and it all came negative. I spoke to my GP and had my urine test done which is negative & blood test & hormones came out all normal according to him. He booked me for a scan but I have to wait a couple of weeks for that. It makes me more anxious as I really want to know what is happening to me asap. I am 3 months delayed now apparently and I am really worried.
Posted Fri, 28 Sep 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 25 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

There can be many cause of delayed periods other than pregnancy. Common causes are ovarian cyst, PCOD,stress, excess physical activity, anemia, excess blood loss recently, weight loss,thyroid issues and hormonal imbalance.

So if the scan is normal then you will have to undertake few blood investigations.

In most cases such delay is temporary and periods get restored once the underlying cause resolves.

An appropriate treatment can be proposed after investigations.

Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor