Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Contracted slight case of itchy hives around shoulders and chest. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 695 Questions
I contracted a slight case heives. around my shoulders and chest. The only problem is thay itch bad. What can I get from the drug store to calsm down the itch
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cetrizine with democalm lotion.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Heives are known as urticarial rash.

They can occur due to allergies to foods,drugs,infections in body etc.Insect bites can also lead to hives and itching.In certain cases cause can not be determined.

Treatment for hives is antihistaminincs.There are many antihistaminics available on counters.

In your case i will advise you to take cetrizine .It is available as a brand name zyrtec.Take this at night time for 5 days.

Apply a soothing lotion like democalm over the affected area two to three times daily.

This will mostly treat your hives,but if it does not respond to zyrtec then you need to take oral steroids.It will be better to consult your doctor before taking steroid.

Hope this will help you.Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor