Contraceptive pill, after intercourse, pregnant. Baby deformed?

Dr. Chetna Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 22 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Question: ***I am looking for help very urgently***
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Day before yesterday we (my wife and I) visited the doctor and got to know that she is pregnant. Though it must be a happiest moment but we are little worried.
Here is what happened:
Just after 50-60 Hrs of intercourse - she took a contraceptive pill (ipill) just to avoid the pregnancy. She did not recognized the symptoms of initial pregnancy and it took us 4-5 weeks to understand this that something is unusual. She tested using preganews and found the test positive. Then we visited the doctors.
Now, my question is - will there be any harm of Ipill on the baby which she has? We are very concerned and visited three doctors. We got the mixed opinions from all of them.
1. First says - dont go for this baby. There might be a chance of deformity - more on it, which deformity, it can not be predicted. because the time when she took the Ipill - it was brain development stage for the baby.
2. Second says - chances of deformed baby is 1 of 1000 - but if you were not ready and you took Ipill, you should not go for it.
3. Third says - go for it. Ipill doesn't effect the baby, it just prevents the pregnancy.

We are totally confused.
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

The current recommendation is that I-pill is unlikely to harm the pregnancy and growing fetus.

That means termination of pregnancy is not recommended in women who conceived after taking contraceptives like I-pill.

I would like to know which day of cycle she has taken the pill, that can be helpful.

Hope this answers your query.
Follow up: Dr. Chetna Jain 5 hours later
Thanks for your reply. She had her last periods on 26th April and took the iPill on 10th may (almost 60 hours later). Her next periods were due on 25th May.
Please help us understand if there can be any possible birth abnormalities because of this and also are there any which can not be detected by ultrasounds/ tests?
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 22 hours later

As she has taken Ipill on Day 15th of the cycle. No foetal deformities expected.

There are no Ultrasound / tests required. It would be a futile attempt now.

Thanks.