Constipation, bleeding during bowels. On cremaffin, suppositories. Should we continue giving cremaffin?

Posted on Mon, 18 Jun 2012 in Constipation
Question: Hi!
My daughter is 2yrs 6 months old, she has been suffering from constipation problem for the last two months. Stool is so hard that on one occasion her rectum cam out and on two occasions there was bleeding. As per our doctor's instruction, we gave her cremaffin for a week initially. we again started it last week as the problem persisted. She passed her stool on Sunday, Monday she did not pass stool but on Tuesday again the stool was hard.She is not able to pass stool without suppository, inspite the fact that we are giving her Cremaffin. We are giving her regular indian food i.e. pulses, rice, roti (bread made of wheat), we have cut down on the quantity of milk. She eats properly and drinks adequate quantity of water only when her system is clean, in fruits, she eats only banana. Should we continue Cremaffin??
Pl. suggest..
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 39 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for the query.

Constipation in Pediatric age group is usually without any long-term consequences. Nevertheless, it can diminish your child's quality of life and create stress in the family. Rarely it could be a sign of a more serious health problem, but don't get alarmed.

It is common to see children withholding stools due to stress of passing stools or if they don't want to interrupt their playtime. This can lead to irregular bowel habits. Other causes could be low fiber diet, reduced fluid intake and certain medications.

Since you noticed bleeding, I would suggest you to get her examined by a Proficient Pediatrician f or a detailed physical. In the meantime, you can continue giving her Cremaffin in the dose suggested earlier.

Watch out for Fever, Vomiting, Abdominal distension, Weight loss or recurrent bleeding from the stools. If you notice any of the above mentioned symptoms, take her to Doctor immediately.

You can also try the following self care measures at home for symptomatic relief:

1.) Give her soy milk instead of cow's milk. Let her avoid carrots, yogurt, cheese and other foods that are low in fiber. Let her avoid bananas.
2.) Fruits and vegetables, raw and unpeeled one are good choices. This may include beans and raw tomatoes and other fiber XXXXXXX foods.
3.) Let her drink plenty of fluids including water, XXXXXXX juice.
4.) You can encourage her to have regular bowel movements. This includes having her sit on toilet for about 10 minutes after meals once or twice a day as per your convenience.
5.) Take her for regular follow up, until she is relieved off her problem.

Hope this answers your query, Please accept my answer if you have no follow-up queries.

Good Luck.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Mohammed Tauseef