question-icon

Constipation. Home remedy?

Posted on Sat, 19 May 2012
Question: Having constipation problems. Cant get to a store or a doctor for a few days. Is there anything I can do?
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh (37 minutes later)
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query. For constipation, some of the methods of treatment are:

1)      First of all increase the fiber amount in your diet. The best natural sources of fiber are fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Eat a diet XXXXXXX in fiber, especially from fruits and vegetables and eat slowly and chew you food well. You may even add bulk forming agents like salads, bananas etc or psyllium husk to your diet.

2)     Exercise regularly such as the regular walking and knee-to-chest position which activates bowel movement.

3)     Drink plenty of fluids and water everyday.

4)     Decrease intake of alcohol, caffeine, tea and cola drinks

5)     Go to the toilet at the same time every day which helps in regularizing the bowel.

6)     Do not take any over the counter laxatives like Senna which can worsen the condition.

7)     If the symptoms persist then you may need osmotic laxatives like polyethylene glycol PEG or miralax after your doctor’s prescription.

If the symptoms persist then other causes of constipation need to be ruled out for which you need investigations like barium enema upper GI with small bowel series, CT scan abdomen, thyroid profile, motility and imaging studies and colonoscopy. For these you need to consult a gastroenterologist.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow up: Dr. Jasvinder Singh (12 minutes later)
I do all of the above. And I rarely drink alcohol! I have never had this problem before. Like I said I am at a place where I cant get to a doctor or a store until wednesday! Is there anything I can do right now to get unconstipated or relieve the pain! Im at the point to where I am starting to feel nausiated!
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh (4 hours later)

Consuming water and natural fruit juices is the best way to get immediate constipation relief. However if you are having pain and severe nausea from constipation then you may need barium enema or you can take oral syrups containing liquid paraffin, milk of magnesia and sodium picosulphate (like syrup Cremaffin after consulting your doctor).

Hope this answers your query.

Dr. Jasvinder Singh